I’m not sure when this song lodged its way into my brain. Before I decided to record it, it was pretty much playing on a loop in my head and it simply wouldn’t stop. I recorded it mainly to get it out of my system.

There is a history to this song being in my life. Obviously, I remember it from watching Batman Forever and it was one of those 90’s songs that pretty much everyone loved but it was really when I worked in ASDA that the song came back into my life. It became a kind of anthem just to get us through a shift. I hated that job with a passion, but whenever someone started singing Kiss From A Rose it brought a smile to my face.

I started work on this song last October and it only took me about 3 days to put it all together and record it. I think, in total there are close to 60 parts. That includes the bass, piano, guitar parts and all of the vocals. All in all, I think there are around 20 vocal tracks in this song alone and, after several listens, I think there may be even more in the Seal version. I hadn’t realised how intricate and detailed this song really was. I read somewhere that Seal originally planned for this track to be entirely vocal, so I suppose it makes sense that there are so many parts.

In truth, the reason that it took me so long to make a video for this song was because I was dreading the filming of it. It was the biggest song I’ve done and I knew it was going to be a pain in the arse to not only film, but also to edit. The Mac that Cerrys and I share is not meant to be trying to run 60 bits of video at once.

The filming of it didn’t actually take all that long. I think I spend about 4 hours doing it over a couple of days. Despite my reservations, I actually quite enjoyed doing it. But after that came the edit. I’d looked online for ways to speed the editing process up and actually found some really helpful articles. I had to change the uploaded video files to the ‘proxy’ setting and looked into some other changes to speed it up and they worked perfectly – up to a point. The first half went far more smoothly than normal and I thought I may have cracked one of my biggest issues but, as more and more videos were uploaded the Mac began to lag and syncing clips to the audio became more difficult and extremely frustrating. I perservered and finally finished the edit after about 7 hours.

The video actually turned out pretty well. I was afraid I was being a bit boring with the lack of different shots used, but the mid section realy breaks it up. Some of the shots aren’t particularly beautiful but I had to do everything myself when filming so I was running back and forth for each take. It was pretty time consuming and I took the easy option and used some shots I wasn’t happy with rather than reshooting.

To be honest, I’m not really sure what’s next. I’ve said before that I should do a more modern song but the more I listen to contemporary music, the more I hate it. I’m never going to rap and turning some God awful fucking pop song in to something more ‘me’ doesn’t seem like too much fun. I’ll keep an ear out, I suppose.